Monday, March 16, 2009

My Coupon Filing System

I just got off the phone with my good friend, Stacy, who was asking me about how I keep track of my coupons. I used to spend hours on end clipping coupons and trying to organize them, but I learned a really great way to file (found on couponmom.com) and thought I would share it with you!

I found this awesome hanging file system at Target! It is my new favorite thing, and guess what --- it was only $10!









Here's how it works:

As you can see, it has a pretty little lid that flips open. Target has all sorts of these with an array of different colors and designs.

Included in this system was: 10 hanging file folders, 10 Tabs, and 10 Tab inserts.






Here is how I labeled the different sections:

- January
- February
- March
- April
- May
- IPQs (any I don't want to clip yet)
- Coupon Books (Coupon book mailers, etc.)
- Monthly Store Coupon Books (Publix, CVS, Etc.)
- Weekly Store Ads
- Misc.

There is also enough room in the system to keep a pad of paper for making lists and a zipper bag with paper clips, post-it notes, scissors, etc.

You will need to purchase about 20-25 manila folders (relatively inexpensive) to put in the monthly folders. Label one manila folder for each Sunday of the month. Here's how my folder from January looks:

Instead of clipping all of your coupons each week, just slip your inserts into the allotted week and, voila, you're done!
Most blog and coupon sites tell you which month, week and insert a certain coupon came from. For example, if you notice a blog that says Lysol $1/1 - 1/4 SS - you will know to look in the January hanging file. Then look in the 1/4 manila folder for the SS. Pretty simple, huh?



I only have folders labeled for January - May, but by the time June runs around, most of the coupons from the Jan. and other earlier months should be long past expired. Just reassign those for your new months.

Later on I'll show you my travel-sized expandable folder that I take with me everywhere I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment